GEM’s contribution towards Pancreatic Cancer Cure
- Over 500 surgeries performed for pancreatic cancer.
- Largest series of Laparoscopic Whipples’ s surgery for pancreatic cancer in the world.
- First totally laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy performed for pancreatic cancer in the world- 1998.
- Presented video of totally laparoscopic whipples procedure at WCES, Singapore and Atlanta, USA as early as year 2000 which was an eye- opener for pancreatic surgeon’s across the globe.
- Awarded ” International Olympic silver medal” for Laparoscopic Whipple’ s procedure for pancreatic cancer.
- First major publication on laparoscopic surgery for pancreatic cancer in the year 2007 in JACS and year 2009 in JHPBS.
- Laparoscopic Whipple’ s procedure performed for the youngest child in the world and published in 2014.
- First centre to publish long term outcomes and survival rates following laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy in the world- JLAST 2015.
- Awarded “Best paper” at IHPBA, Sao Paulo in April 2016 for a study comparing outcomes of open vs laparoscopic surgery for pancreatic cancer.
- Conducted the landmark International summit for pancreatic surgeons in October 2016 and drafted “Coimbatore summit statements” which serve as recommendations for safe laparoscopic pancreatic cancer surgery for surgeons across the globe.
- Awarded “Best poster” for artery first approach in pancreaticoduodenectomy at APHPBA, Yokahama- June 2017
- First RCT across globe on Laparoscopic vs open pancreatic cancer surgery published in the prestigious BJS journal in October 2017.
- Performed Robotic whipples procedure on the youngest patient in the world.
- Longest survivor following laparoscopic Whipple procedure in the world.